Subject: bug#78909: [PATCH] Add 'forward-delete-char-hungry' command

From: Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2025 21:37:53 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I had originally intended to add a kind of `hungry-delete-mode`, because
>> sometimes this type of deletion is useful (e.g. for some programming
>> modes).
>> 
>> While `cc-mode` already have it, it's only "exclusive" for `cc-mode`
>> modes.
>> 
>> This new command was more of a kind of `c-hungry-delete-forward` than a
>> `backward-delete-char-untabify`.
>> 
>> I wasn't sure if it would be worth moving those cc-mode commands for
>> general use, or make/move the `hungry` feature from
>> `backward-delete-char-untabify` to be used generally.
>
> In addition to C Mode's hungry-delete, we also have M-\ and M-SPC,
> which are available globally.  Are they not enough?

M-\ and M-SPC are fine, of course, but I think it would be fine to have
other commands that combine both behaviors: delete whitespaces if there
are, otherwise delete the character forward/backward, a DWIM style.

> if not, can you explain what's missing in those commands?

Actually nothing, I'm proposing 2 DWIM-type commands (or a minor mode)
for this hungry-like deletion, similar to c-hungry commands.

`backward-delete-char-untabify` has 2 interesting hungry-like deletions,
one that only deletes both tabs and spaces, and other that deletes _all_
whitespaces.

-- 
                                          - E.G via GNU Emacs and Org.