Subject: Re: bug#78909: [PATCH] Add 'forward-delete-char-hungry' command

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2025 19:06:22 +0200

>>>>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2025 10:17:33 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:
    >> I had originally intended to add a kind of `hungry-delete-mode`, because
    >> sometimes this type of deletion is useful (e.g. for some programming
    >> modes).
    >> 
    >> While `cc-mode` already have it, it's only "exclusive" for `cc-mode`
    >> modes.
    >>

Itʼs very easy to turn on in cc-mode, but nothing stops you doing

  (define-key my-favourite-language-mode-map "C-d" #'c-hungry-delete-forward)

    >> This new command was more of a kind of `c-hungry-delete-forward` than a
    >> `backward-delete-char-untabify`.
    >> 
    >> I wasn't sure if it would be worth moving those cc-mode commands for
    >> general use, or make/move the `hungry` feature from
    >> `backward-delete-char-untabify` to be used generally.

They donʼt need moving. They might need a minor mode command to turn
them on, along with some bindings.

    Eli> In addition to C Mode's hungry-delete, we also have M-\ and M-SPC,
    Eli> which are available globally.  Are they not enough?  if not, can you
    Eli> explain what's missing in those commands?

Iʼm not missing anything. M-SPC in particular is very handy.

Robert
--