Subject: 29.4; display-time-mode breaks minibuffer in emacsclient

From: Varun Malladi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2025 13:26:28 -0400

Given the following minimal init file:
```
;; min-init.el
(require 'tab-bar)
(tab-bar-mode)
(add-to-list 'tab-bar-format 'tab-bar-format-global 'append)
(display-time-mode -1)
```

I do the following:
```
emacs -Q --daemon --load min-init.el
```

Then when I start emacsclient in the terminal with `emacsclient -t`, the
minibuffer won't work at all. When I don't do this via the server,
e.g. removing `--daemon` from the above invocation, the minibuffer works
fine.

Let me try to describe what I mean when I say that the minibuffer
doesn't work. `M-x` puts the cursor at the beginning of the minibuffer
(no "M-x" text). Typing any key says that the key is not defined. `C-g`
doesn't work either.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4) of 2025-01-20 built on
 (redacted)
System Description: AlmaLinux 9.5 (Teal Serval)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-cairo --with-dbus --with-gif
 --with-gpm=no --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk --with-png --with-rsvg
 --with-sqlite3 --with-tiff --with-tree-sitter --with-webp --with-xpm
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-fno-semantic-interposition -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
 -pthread -fno-semantic-interposition -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -pthread
 -fno-semantic-interposition -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -pthread
 -DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
 -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64-v2
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection ' 'LDFLAGS= -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,now
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 '
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
 'CXXFLAGS=-std=gnu++20 -DFMT_CONSTEVAL= -DBUG681273
 -fno-semantic-interposition -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -pthread -std=gnu++20 -DFMT_CONSTEVAL=
 -DBUG681273 -fno-semantic-interposition -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -pthread -std=gnu++20 -DFMT_CONSTEVAL=
 -DBUG681273 -fno-semantic-interposition -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -pthread -O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
 -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall
 -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64-v2
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp comp-cstr
warnings icons rx cl-seq cl-extra help-mode term/screen term/xterm xterm
clang-rename clang-include-fixer let-alist json subr-x map byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile clang-format cl-macs gv xml cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 92347 8264)
 (symbols 48 7619 0)
 (strings 32 21282 1534)
 (string-bytes 1 639143)
 (vectors 16 15152)
 (vector-slots 8 300714 14258)
 (floats 8 31 230)
 (intervals 56 462 0)
 (buffers 984 14))