Subject: Re: bug#78881: [PATCH] New command 'toggle-mode-line-visibility'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2025 13:05:55 +0300

> From: Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2025 13:00:35 -0600
> 
> +@findex mode-line-invisible-mode
> +  By default, most buffers display a mode line, however not in many
> +cases the mode line may be useful,

I'd rephrase: "..., but if the mode line is not useful in a buffer,..."

>                                     you can use the command @kbd{M-x
> +mode-line-invisible-mode} to hide the mode line in the current buffer,

Please enclose long "M-x command-name" in @w{..}, so that makeinfo
doesn't break that between two lines.  Like this:

  ...you can use the command @w{@kbd{M-x mode-line-invisible-mode}}

> +the mode line remains hidden until this command is called again.  To
> +always hide the mode line when entering to a major mode, add
> +@code{mode-line-invisible-mode} to a hook @xref{Hooks}.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
@xref should only be used at the beginning of a sentence, since it
produces a capitalized "See".  Here you want @pxref (in parentheses).
Alternatively, you could have a period after "to a hook", in which
case @xref will be the next sentence.

> ++++
> +*** New minor mode 'mode-line-invisible-mode'.
> +This command hide temporarily the mode line in current buffer until
> +'mode-line-invisible-mode' is called again.

Why "temporarily"?

I would rephrase this:

  This command toggles the mode-line visibility of the current buffer:
  hides it if it is shown, and shows it if it's hidden.

> +(define-minor-mode mode-line-invisible-mode
> +  "Hide temporarily the mode line in the current buffer.
> +Hide the mode line in current buffer until this minor mode is called
> +again."

Same here.

Thanks.