Subject: bug#78865: 31.0.50; Inconsistency between show-paren-mode and some cursor-movement commands

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2025 14:03:51 +0200

On Mon, Jun 23, 2025 at 1:17 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Why do you expect C-M-n to do that when the brackets are in comments?

Because I saw the highlighting of both brackets, and I intuitively
felt that I could navigate between them (In fact, I'd prefer
show-paren-mode to be consistent with cursor motion commands line
C-M-n).

I still think that the behavior I did envision would make sense and
would be useful. -- as I explained, I sometimes write such comments in
code, with the intent to delimit/identify/annotate certain chunks of
code.  Being able to move around that meta-syntactic structure would
be great.

> That's not what C-M-n and its ilk are about: they allow to move by
> code chunks, not by arbitrary text fragments.
>
> Try this with brackets in code, and I think you will see the behavior
> you expect.

If what I'm trying to achieve doesn't make sense to you guys, then
let's close this ticket.  No problem :).

Thanks.

-- 
Dani Moncayo