Subject: bug#78864: Support for bookmarks in debbugs.el

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2025 08:56:33 +0200

Stéphane Marks <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stéphane,

>         Another interest is that they're centralized.  Thus when
>         visiting the bookmark menu, where I have among others a
>         bookmarks to "Emacs sources" handled by `vc-dir' and a
>         bookmark to "Search results for "emacs" - explain xkcd"
>         handled by EWW, I could also have a bookmark for "Emacs Bug
>         #78864" handled by Debbugs.
>
>         On my side I may find time to follow your suggestion and
>         rework my patch in a separate file, so I can eventually
>         continue using bookmarks to track bugs.  If it happens, I'll
>         share the result and see whether other people are interested
>         (I doubt). 
>
> You can also do this using the debbugs web site
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?submitter=shipmints%40gmail.com
> and replace my email address with your own (or someone else's).  That
> you can bookmark using `eww` or an external web browser.

Anything goes, of course. But the idea of the debbugs package is to
avoid the web interface, and to offer a better integration with Emacs
workflows. Once you have opened a bookmark with respective bugs, you
want to work on them, like sending a message, applying a patch,
whatever. This doesn't go smoothly with a web page in eww.

So if we want to support bookmarks with the debbugs package, Matthias'
approach seems to be OK.

Best regards, Michael.