Subject: bug#78864: Support for bookmarks in debbugs.el

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2025 19:37:04 +0200

Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Matthias,

> First, sorry for not posting directly to a bug report mailing list but
> I am not used to report for ELPA  hosted packages and failed to find
> the mail address where to report bugs for debbugs.el.  I just show
> that you're the package maintainer. Please tell me whether there's a
> better place to post what follows, and I'll do it.

GNU ELPA packages are regarded as part of Emacs. 'M-x report-emacs-bug'
is perfect for them.

I'm sending my reply to <[email-masked]> in order to get a bug number.

> Here's my point.  For people (like me!) that haven't subscribed to
> emacs bug mailing list (frightened by its traffic for example) it's
> difficult to follow a bug report.  From time to time, I found myself
> searching my memory for that bug number I contributed to but never saw
> what happened since then, etc.
>
> Attached is a patch adding support for bookmarks in Debbugs buffers. 
> I am not a heavy user of the package so I am not sure this patch
> covers the most frequent use cases. But its able to save and restore
> simple queries.
>
> Tell me whether you're interested in this feature, if there are
> changes I should apply to the patch, etc.

It looks interesting. Personally, I'm not a user of bookmark.el, so I
have no clear view whether we need it in parallel to the tagging of bugs
in debbugs. See the commands `debbugs-gnu-toggle-tag' and
`debbugs-gnu-toggle-mark', which offer a kind of internal bookmarking.

But I won't object if I understand the additional benefit.

In case we continue to work on this, I propose to add the code into an
additional file debbugs-bookmark.el. And we need some doc in debbugs-ug.texi.

> Thanks a lot for your time and work on Emacs.
>
> Regards,
> -- 
> Matthias

Best regards, Michael.