Subject: bug#78864: Support for bookmarks in debbugs.el

From: Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2025 21:06:36 +0200

> It looks interesting. Personally, I'm not a user of bookmark.el, so I
>> have no clear view whether we need it in parallel to the tagging of bugs
>> in debbugs. See the commands `debbugs-gnu-toggle-tag' and
>> `debbugs-gnu-toggle-mark', which offer a kind of internal bookmarking.
>>
>
>
> I wasn't aware of that. I'll read a out those.
>
> But I won't object if I understand the additional benefit.
>>
>
> Not clear to me at this point. Give me time to try what you recommended. I
> suspect that we'll just close the bug.
>

I read the Tabulated Lists node of the manual and learn what tag and mark
means in the context of Debbugs.  I tried both features.

One interest of bookmarks is that it uses a single interface whatever the
handler and major mode is: You learn them once.

Another interest is that they're centralized.  Thus when visiting the
bookmark menu, where I have among others a bookmarks to "Emacs sources"
handled by `vc-dir' and a bookmark to "Search results for "emacs" - explain
xkcd" handled by EWW, I could also have a bookmark for "Emacs Bug #78864"
handled by Debbugs.

But my feeling is that it's not worth introducing bookmarks in
debbugs-gnu.el: It'd add confusion for little gain.

On my side I may find time to follow your suggestion and rework my patch in
a separate file, so I can eventually continue using bookmarks to track
bugs.  If it happens, I'll share the result and see whether other people
are interested (I doubt).

Feel free to close that bug.

Regards,
-- 
Matthias