Subject: bug#78861: [PATCH] Avoid calendar flicker

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2025 10:25:17 +0300

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2025 09:00:02 +0200
> 
> When you have diary marks activated in the calendar (with 'm',
> diary-mark-entries) and when moving around (for example with '<' and
> '>') you will see some flicker on dates where you have marks.

Please elaborate: which part(s) of the display flicker?  I tried a
simple recipe to reproduce the problem, and saw no flickering on my
system.

Did you see the flickering in "emacs -Q"?  And what is the state of
double-buffering in the session where you saw it?

> This patch fixes this.

Sorry, the inhibit-redisplay flag is not meant to be used for these
purposes, so this patch is not TRT, from where I stand.  We need
instead to understand why the display flickers and fix that to avoid
the flickering.  So let's please take a step back and try to come up
with a reproducible recipe that exhibits this flickering, and then see
why it happens.

Thanks.