Subject: Re: bug#78859: 31.0.50; Viewing mime part in Rmail sets truncate-lines

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2025 22:44:09 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > In general, email messages with more than a single MIME part, not all
  > of them HTML, are quite rare.  I don't remember the last time I've
  > seen anything like that.

I received one a few days ago, and that is how I noticed this problem.
I could not find it again the next day, because I get hundreds of
emails per day and I don't know which day that one actually arrived.

In any case, I assure you it did happen.  And it is obvious why the code
caused that result.

  > I think it sets truncate-lines because it uses functions that simulate
  > display, and so that setting affects how HTML is laid out in the
  > buffer by shr.el.  So maybe what you suggest above is the best fix we
  > can easily make.

Are you saying that the value of truncate-lines that maters
is the value it has while shr.el is running?

If so, maybe binding truncate-lines only around the execution of
shr.el would give ideal results!

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)