Subject: [Bug]: Unexpected Behaviour with the `-r` (relative) `ln` - Parameter

From: "NA0341-Services (dev-account)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2025 20:58:42 +0000

Dear GNU Coreutils Maintainers

Today I was trying to create a Relative Symbolic  Link to ~/.face (which 
itself is a Symlink)  named ~/.icon with the following Command:

	$ ln -sir ~/.face ~/.icon

But ln linked ~/.icon to the TARGET ~/.face was linking to, instead (it 
followed or dereferenced ~/.face).

As if I had used the -L, --logical (dereference TARGETs that are symbolic 
links).

I confirmed this behaviour with ZSH (zsh 5.9 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)), bash 
(5.2.37(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)) and sh (sh-5.2) on Manjaro Linux 
with the Linux 6.1.138-1-MANJARO Kernel and GNOME on Wayland version 48.

In a conversation with the Claude 3 Haiku AI I confirmed that this is very 
likely to be a bug ~ since `ln` should only dereference the TARGET when the 
-L Option is given.

Thank You for Your Time ~ and I'll wait for your Response

Greetings from Erfurt in Thuringia/Germany

Bela. Kroll (NA0341)

-- 
Sent with Vivaldi Mail. Download Vivaldi for free at vivaldi.com