Subject: bug#78841: reftex-get-bibfile-list fails to detect biblatex if there's no buffer for the main file

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2025 20:45:09 +0200

Hi Paul,

"Paul D. Nelson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> With this commit, when I try to open any .tex file (existing or not), I
> get "(wrong-type-argument sequencep t)" errors like those in the
> attached backtrace (reproduced with emacs -Q).  My TeX-master value is
> t.  The patch below seems to do the trick

Thanks for raising this.  You're right, I missed to cater for that case.
I think the following change fixes this and is more concise.  Can you
install it locally and give it a roll?  TIA.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
diff --git a/lisp/international/latexenc.el b/lisp/international/latexenc.el
index fea5be6dbd7..9955c0fb569 100644
--- a/lisp/international/latexenc.el
+++ b/lisp/international/latexenc.el
@@ -156,7 +156,8 @@ latexenc-find-file-coding-system
                                "^%+ *\\(TeX-master\\|tex-main-file\\): *\"\\(.+\\)\""
                                nil t)
                               (match-string 2)
-                            (or (bound-and-true-p TeX-master)
+                            (or (and (bound-and-true-p TeX-master)
+                                     (stringp TeX-master))
                                 (bound-and-true-p tex-main-file)))))
                 (dolist (ext `("" ,(if (boundp 'TeX-default-extension)
                                        (concat "." TeX-default-extension)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> (but I'll confess that I haven't studied the "big picture" here).

No worries, same here.

Best, Arash