Subject: bug#78815: closed (Re: bug#78815: 31.0.50; completions truncated)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2025 07:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#78815: 31.0.50; completions truncated

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78815: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78815
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78815: 31.0.50; completions truncated
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2025 10:40:02 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2025 07:15:23 +0100
> 
> 
> >>>>> Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors <Michael> writes:
>     >> Colin Baxter <[email-masked]> writes:
>     >>>>> This part has not been clear to me so far: you scroll the
>     >>>>> completions buffer with the mouse.
> 
>     >>> That is strictly correct, but I need to clarify it.
>     >>> 
>     >>> 1. If I use the mouse to put the cursor in the completion
>     >>> buffer, I can then use either C-v or the down arrow to move down
>     >>> the buffer. In both cases, I see the button.
>     >>> 
>     >>> 2. The only route I have found in order not to see the button is
>     >>> to use multiple <TAB>.
> 
>     >> Thanks.
> 
>     >> AFAIU, this is expected given the current design.  Do we want to
>     >> fix this?
> 
>     >> My personal opinion is that we could indeed improve the user
>     >> experience here, since scrolling the completions using the
>     >> ordinary scroll commands is something that people just will try.
>     >> Could this be improved so that the result would work reliably?
> 
>     > I have no strong option. Perhaps it would be enough to suggest
>     > that using tabs in future would eliminate the button?
> 
> Perhaps this should now be closed as `not a bug'?

No further comments, so I'm now closing this bug.

Subject: 31.0.50; completions truncated
From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2025 11:01:58 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. emacs -Q <RET>
2. C-h f <RET> (for example)
3. completion <TAB> (for example)
4. Completion buffer opens with 131 possible completions
5. In foot of buffer is button that reads:
[Completions truncated, click here to insert the rest.]
6. If button is clicked then further completions are shown.

I didn't think was a bug but others suggest it should be reported.

Best Wishes,

Colin Baxter

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, i686-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.14.8)
 of 2025-06-17 built on bluestar
Repository revision: 376bd36f340b858a998ef0d43e5ebbd62149927a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/redknight/local/opt/emacs-dev
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-sqlite3
 --without-sound --with-mailutils --with-cairo --with-imagemagick
 --with-native-compilation=no --with-tree-sitter=no
 --without-libsystemd'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM
XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils warnings icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 41042 9892) (symbols 24 5513 0) (strings 16 12558 2499)
 (string-bytes 1 300140) (vectors 8 9732) (vector-slots 4 112314 8282)
 (floats 8 25 3) (intervals 28 276 25) (buffers 560 10))