Subject: Re: bug#78815: 31.0.50; completions truncated

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2025 07:15:23 +0100

>>>>> Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors <Michael> writes:
    >> Colin Baxter <[email-masked]> writes:
    >>>>> This part has not been clear to me so far: you scroll the
    >>>>> completions buffer with the mouse.

    >>> That is strictly correct, but I need to clarify it.
    >>> 
    >>> 1. If I use the mouse to put the cursor in the completion
    >>> buffer, I can then use either C-v or the down arrow to move down
    >>> the buffer. In both cases, I see the button.
    >>> 
    >>> 2. The only route I have found in order not to see the button is
    >>> to use multiple <TAB>.

    >> Thanks.

    >> AFAIU, this is expected given the current design.  Do we want to
    >> fix this?

    >> My personal opinion is that we could indeed improve the user
    >> experience here, since scrolling the completions using the
    >> ordinary scroll commands is something that people just will try.
    >> Could this be improved so that the result would work reliably?

    > I have no strong option. Perhaps it would be enough to suggest
    > that using tabs in future would eliminate the button?

Perhaps this should now be closed as `not a bug'?

Thanks to every one for their help.

Colin.