Subject: bug#78815: 31.0.50; completions truncated

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2025 11:01:58 +0100

1. emacs -Q <RET>
2. C-h f <RET> (for example)
3. completion <TAB> (for example)
4. Completion buffer opens with 131 possible completions
5. In foot of buffer is button that reads:
[Completions truncated, click here to insert the rest.]
6. If button is clicked then further completions are shown.

I didn't think was a bug but others suggest it should be reported.

Best Wishes,

Colin Baxter

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, i686-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.14.8)
 of 2025-06-17 built on bluestar
Repository revision: 376bd36f340b858a998ef0d43e5ebbd62149927a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/redknight/local/opt/emacs-dev
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-sqlite3
 --without-sound --with-mailutils --with-cairo --with-imagemagick
 --with-native-compilation=no --with-tree-sitter=no
 --without-libsystemd'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM
XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils warnings icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 41042 9892) (symbols 24 5513 0) (strings 16 12558 2499)
 (string-bytes 1 300140) (vectors 8 9732) (vector-slots 4 112314 8282)
 (floats 8 25 3) (intervals 28 276 25) (buffers 560 10))