Subject: Re: bug#78808: 28.2; Debian 12 GNU Emacs bug in Custom

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2025 14:09:36 +0300

> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2025 15:49:13 +0300
> From:  Barry Davidson via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> After changing settings in Custom and after visiting and changing
> existing theme in customize-create-theme, Custom fails to put ( )
> around values for key :inherit. Example:
> It writes (:inherit link) instead of (:inherit (link)).
> Emacs then complains about errors in theme and if I visit it in
> customize-create-theme, then those fields are not properly displayed:
> instead of checkboxes there are just elisp code sections.
> I fixed my custom theme by manually adding parentheses ( ) after every
> :inherit keyword, like so: (:inherit (variable-pitch));
> Custom wrote it as (:inherit variable-pitch) without parentheses.

Thank you for your report.  But please describe a detailed recipe for
reproducing this problem starting from "emacs -Q".  Please include all
the commands you typed, including the specific theme you tried and the
variables/faces you customized.  Such a detailed description is
important for efficiently investigating the problem and its source, if
it still exists in the latest releases of Emacs (the last released
version is 30.1, with 30.2 in the works and expected to be released
soon).