Subject: bug#78794: [PATCH] Pretiffy package-menu

From: Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2025 13:13:00 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > Also, I have no packages installed, but the mode line says "New: 0",
>> > with the help-echo saying "Total number of new packages available".
>> > This is confusing; perhaps we need to use a different word instead of
>> > "New"?
>> 
>> How about using "Newest available"?
>
> That's basically the same.
>
> Can you explain what you meant by "New" here?  Then I might be able to
> suggest a more clear terminology.

"New" indicates how many packages with the status of "new" are in
package menu, according to manual:

  Equivalent to ‘available’, except that the package became newly
  available on the package archive after your last invocation of M-x
  list-packages.

-- 
                                          - E.G via GNU Emacs and Org.