Subject: Re: bug#78783: 30.1.50; AOT-compiling site-lisp during the Emacs build doesn't work

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2025 09:25:13 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2025 17:40:53 -0400
> From:  Spencer Baugh via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Yes, I concretely am suggesting we look at PATH_SITELOADSEARCH so we
> respect whatever the distro has ./configure'd, not just hardcode
> "30.1.50/site-lisp".
> 
> That would allow any distro to ship code in site-lisp and also ship
> pre-compiled .elns for that code, without having to perform native
> compilation *after* this installation, which is generally much easier.

I'm against such a change, since you could solve your problem without
it.  I'm not interested in complicating our startup code and its
subtleties (of which there are already too many) because you have a
local problem that can be solved within the current restrictions,
sorry.