Subject: bug#78764: closed (Re: bug#78764: [PATCH] mailcap: Treat .ics files as text/calendar)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2025 14:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#78764: [PATCH] mailcap: Treat .ics files as text/calendar

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78764: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78764
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78764: [PATCH] mailcap: Treat .ics files as text/calendar
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Steven Allen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2025 17:30:00 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: William M. Perry <[email-masked]>,
>  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2025 15:01:45 -0700
> From:  Steven Allen via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Add a mapping from ".ics" to "text/calendar" to mailcap-mime-extensions
> to ensure that iCalendar attachments are always previewed correctly,
> even when their MIME type is incorrect (as it is for Google Calendar invites).

Thanks, installed on the master branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: [PATCH] mailcap: Treat .ics files as text/calendar
From: Steven Allen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2025 15:01:45 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

Add a mapping from ".ics" to "text/calendar" to mailcap-mime-extensions
to ensure that iCalendar attachments are always previewed correctly,
even when their MIME type is incorrect (as it is for Google Calendar invites).

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.18.4) of 2025-06-11 built on Laptop
Repository revision: 87244ef1661f9e9d7c08f65047551e8a34cd92b2
Repository branch: makepkg
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101016
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/run/user/1000/build/emacs-git/src/mps-git/build/include '
 'LDFLAGS=-L/run/user/1000/build/emacs-git/src/mps-git/build/lib -Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now
 -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto' --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --with-gameuser=:games --with-modules --without-m17n-flt
 --without-selinux --without-pop --without-gconf --disable-gc-mark-trace
 --with-mps=yes --enable-link-time-optimization
 --with-native-compilation=yes --with-xinput2 --with-x-toolkit=no
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-xaw3d --without-gsettings
 --with-cairo-xcb --without-xft --with-sound=no --with-tree-sitter
 --without-gpm --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -mtune=native -O3 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fomit-frame-pointer
 -fno-math-errno -fno-trapping-math -fno-math-errno -fno-trapping-math
 -flto=auto''

>From e77702cc5ce09b48ad978ced4832c56e0bc2b05a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Steven Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2025 14:55:43 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] mailcap: Treat .ics files as text/calendar

This ensures iCalendar attachments are always displayed correctly (via
`gnus-icalendar-mm-inline'), even when they have an incorrect MIME
type (looking at you Google Calendar).

* lisp/net/mailcap.el (mailcap-mime-extensions): Add a mapping from ".ics"
to "text/calendar".
---
 lisp/net/mailcap.el | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/lisp/net/mailcap.el b/lisp/net/mailcap.el
index 7e69826160e..b80baab97d5 100644
--- a/lisp/net/mailcap.el
+++ b/lisp/net/mailcap.el
@@ -920,6 +920,7 @@ mailcap-mime-extensions
     (".htm"   . "text/html")
     (".html"  . "text/html")
     (".icon"  . "image/x-icon")
+    (".ics"   . "text/calendar")
     (".ief"   . "image/ief")
     (".jpg"   . "image/jpeg")
     (".macp"  . "image/x-macpaint")
-- 
2.49.0