Subject: bug#78763: closed (Re: bug#78762: [PATCH] Fix segfault in profiler-cpu-log and profiler-memory-log)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2025 14:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#78762: 30.0.50; Calling (profiler-cpu-log) segfaults Emacs if profiler is not running

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78762: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78762
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78762: [PATCH] Fix segfault in profiler-cpu-log and profiler-memory-log
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: zach shaftel <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2025 17:56:58 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: zach shaftel <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2025 22:11:36 -0400
> 
> thank you for the feedback, a new patch is attached. let me know if i
> missed anything.

Thanks, installed on master, and closing the bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; Calling (profiler-cpu-log) segfaults Emacs if profiler is not running
From: Aaron Zeng <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2025 17:03:04 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As of commit 22201dde773e5404f80baa1f59768e88d97a322a, calling
(profiler-cpu-log) while the CPU profiler is not running causes Emacs to
crash with a segfault.  I have confirmed this issue also appears at
f69b822fb0e804a13ff7a4eb55fc2ae618e0de72, which was the tip of the
master branch at the time of writing.

To reproduce, simply run:
$ emacs -Q --batch --eval '(profiler-cpu-log)'

The gdb backtrace is attached to this email.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2025-06-11 built on
 igm-qws-u12685a
Repository revision: 22201dde773e5404f80baa1f59768e88d97a322a
Repository branch: HEAD
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.10 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure --config-cache --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-gpm
 --without-gconf --without-selinux --without-imagemagick --with-modules
 --with-gif=no --with-cairo --with-rsvg --without-compress-install
 --with-tree-sitter --with-native-compilation=aot --prefix=
 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -Og -fno-omit-frame-pointer' LDFLAGS=-ggdb3'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run
comp-common rx term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 108023 11051) (symbols 48 6804 0) (strings 32 28851 2118)
 (string-bytes 1 959502) (vectors 16 17388)
 (vector-slots 8 258214 11288) (floats 8 38 51) (intervals 56 297 3)
 (buffers 984 11))