Subject: bug#78749: closed (Re: bug#78749: 30.1; M-| (`shell-command-on-region') does not respect `display-buffer-alist')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2025 09:09:01 +0000

Your bug report

#78749: 30.1; M-| (`shell-command-on-region') does not respect `display-buffer-alist'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78749: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78749
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78749: 30.1; M-| (`shell-command-on-region') does not respect `display-buffer-alist'
From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Alcor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2025 11:08:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>>>>> On Tue, 10 Jun 2025 20:39:42 +0200, Alcor via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]> said:

    Alcor> I apologize for the noise. This was a mistake on my part - I wasn't
    Alcor> reading the documentation for `display-buffer-no-window' carefully and
    Alcor> missed the passage mentioning the allow-no-window symbol, which is
    Alcor> needed in this case.

    Alcor> Therefore, this is merely a user error/misconfiguration. This ticket can
    Alcor> be closed.

Iʼm doing that with this message to [email-masked], you
can do it yourself in future.

Robert
-- 

Subject: 30.1; M-| (`shell-command-on-region') does not respect `display-buffer-alist'
From: Alcor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2025 18:10:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steps to reproduce:

Start Emacs using `emacs -Q' and evaluate the following Elisp code:

(defun shell-command-buffer-name-condition (name action)
  (or (equal name shell-command-buffer-name)
      (equal name shell-command-buffer-name-async)))
(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist '(shell-command-buffer-name-condition
  display-buffer-no-window))

Afterwards, open any file, select a large region of text, then hit M-|
base64 RET.  Alternatively, you may use any other command that generates
a large amount of output in order to force `shell-command-on-region' to
use the *Shell Command Output* buffer instead of the echo area.

Expected behavior:

No new window is created, and the `display-buffer-alist' rule is
respected (the same behavior correctly exhibited with M-! and M-&).

Observed behavior:

A new window is created, and the `display-buffer-alist' rule is not respected.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-06-06 built on lcy02-amd64-010
Repository revision: 27a24e6d9357dd3de2a2d219248b1ff85e06d8d3
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-xinput2
 --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-isystem
 /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem
 /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem
 /build/emacs/stage/usr/include -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem
 /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem
 /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem
 /build/emacs/stage/usr/include'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/stage/usr/lib''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  which-key-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  fido-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win hippie-exp comint ansi-osc ansi-color emacsbug
message yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader disp-table whitespace
display-line-numbers goto-addr thingatpt sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr xdg doom-themes-ext-org
doom-themes-ext-visual-bell face-remap doom-nord-theme pcase doom-themes
doom-themes-base which-key cus-edit pp finder-inf use-package-ensure
winner ring windmove recentf tree-widget wid-edit autorevert filenotify
icomplete desktop frameset mb-depth delsel repeat cus-load edmacro
kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core
site-start comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode comp-common warnings rx
doom-themes-autoloads erc-irc-format-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 500111 22810) (symbols 48 25059 0)
 (strings 32 136321 3117) (string-bytes 1 3446568) (vectors 16 36929)
 (vector-slots 8 441561 14781) (floats 8 525 7600)
 (intervals 56 463 0) (buffers 992 9))