Subject: bug#78739: 30.1; Performance issue with inline image in an org file

From: laladrik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2025 16:02:23 +0000

Hello,

To be honest I got confused.

1. Ihor, Is the issue reproduced with the latest master of Emacs or Org mode
plugin? I see the lag with the versions designated in the original message.
Namely, 29.4 and 30.1.

2. What is the path forward?  As not everyone is able to reproduce the issue,
would it help if I provide a Linux Perf report?  I would've done in the
beginning, but the report I has an awkward stack traces.  It's awkward for two
reasons.

2.1. It shows that symbol
bits_image_fetch_separable_convolution_affine_none_x8r8g8b8 takes most of the
CPU time.  However, I couldn't find the symbol in the source code of libpixman.

2.2. It doesn't show the stack trace to the call of the function in Emacs. It's
awkward, because I'm certain that I built Emacs with "-g" flag.  However, the
stack trace is what it is. I'm happy to provide more detailed Linux Perf report
if you tell me which flags I should give to the compiler to build Emacs.

3. About the picture format.  I see lags even if I convert the picture from PNG
to JPG.  One more question just for the sake of clearance.  Eli, did you do all
the steps before pressing Down?  Also, I've been wondering if it's the
performance can be reproduced on GNU/Linux only.

4. One more question about the path forward? Before I posted the bug report, I
had posted a question on emacs.stackexchange.com.  There was a person who was
able to reproduce the issue.  Does it make any sense to share a link to the
question?

Best regards,
Aleksei Markov