Subject: Re: bug#78737: sit-for behavior changes when byte-compiled

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2025 06:46:03 +0000

"Eli Zaretskii" <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Emergency exit" (not "emergency quit", which never existed in Emacs)
> is the feature whereby typing more than 1 C-g would pop the question
> whether to exit Emacs and if so, whether to dump core.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but just to recap:

"Emergency exit" works in sessions that have a terminal frame.  In such
sessions, the code manipulating force_quit_count is never reached.

In GUI sessions, this code is reached, and hitting C-g three times while
quit-flag is set will perform a special kind of quit, clearing
inhibit-quit.

IIUC, you object to calling this special kind of quit "emergency quit",
and would prefer to call it something else.

Is that right?  What's the preferred term for this special kind of quit?

I'm asking mostly because this feature isn't documented in trouble.texi.
The emergency escape (= emergency exit) feature is well-documented but I
fear that won't help most users, terminal frames being rare these days.

Pip