Subject: bug#78737: sit-for behavior changes when byte-compiled

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2025 19:43:12 +0300

> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2025 16:11:35 +0000
> From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > when's the last time you read keyboard.c?
> 
> What's the point of such personal attacks?  It's totally inappropriate
> to suggest I did not read the source code, regardless of whether it's
> correct or not.  And even if I misunderstood your patches, that tone is
> inappropriate.
> 
> (It doesn't matter much, but I was correct in both of these cases: your
> patch disables quit in some (too many) situaitons, and we do longjmp
> from signal handlers in keyboard.c, as the code clearly states.)
> 
> > We don't jump in signal handlers for input.  If we did, we'd have much
> > bigger problems.
> 
> Of course we do.

You are both right: on TTY's C-g triggers SIGINT, and we do longjmp
from the SIGINT handler; on X C-g (like any keypress) triggers SIGIO,
and we do NOT longjmp from the SIGIO handler.

Anyway, can we please cool down and discuss this in a more friendly
fashion?  Daniel, if Pip has some reservations about the design or the
implementation on the branch, please make the effort to explain your
ideas and goals, and please try to address the concerns.  We should
strive to arrive at changes on which we all agree, and we should be on
the same page regarding the goals and the means to reach those goals.

> I hope you'll understand I might take a break from this discussion.

I hope no one takes a break because they feel attacked.