Subject: 31.0.50; Faces menu is unexpectedly not available as documented

From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2025 15:32:27 +0200

To reproduce this issue, please start Emacs with:

    $ emacs -Q --eval '(setq font-lock-defaults nil)'

>From the documentation of font-lock-defaults, my expectation is that I
can then use the "Faces" menu (under "Edit" and then "Text Properties"
in the menu bar) to assign faces explicitly to text in the buffer:

   -- Variable: font-lock-defaults
       ... If its value is ‘nil’, ...  you can use the ‘Faces’ menu
       (under ‘Edit’ and then ‘Text Properties’ in the menu bar) to
       assign faces explicitly to text in the buffer.

However, under "Edit", a "Faces" menu is unexpectedly not available.

Can you reproduce this issue?

Thank you and all the best,
Markus

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw
 scroll bars) of 2025-03-23 built on mt-laptop
Repository revision: 7d14e35498209e45290f5c1297ded6d7175bf1ea
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12302000
System Description: Ubuntu 23.10

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xpm=ifavailable
 --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
 --with-gnutls=ifavailable --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3''

Configured features:
FREETYPE GMP JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XFT XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB