Subject: Re: bug#78719: 30.1; [PATCH] Add functions `string-common-prefix' and `string-try-completion'

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2025 15:45:14 +1200

On 2025-06-11 03:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> (string-common-prefix COLLECTION &optional IGNORE-CASE STRING
>> REGEXP-LIST PREDICATE)
> 
> I think STRING should come before IGNORE-CASE.  Otherwise, LGTM,
> thanks.

I've pushed the revisions to scratch/string-common-prefix

After fetching, the revised changes will be:

git diff master...origin/scratch/string-common-prefix

My remaining niggle about having STRING before IGNORE-CASE is that
STRING, REGEXP-LIST, and PREDICATE all fall under the same category
of "filtering the COLLECTION prior to determining a common prefix",
so this order interrupts that logical grouping.

I've described the three filtering arguments together as a group in
the documentation, for better readability.  I don't mind switching
the order in the code to match if you change your mind about that;
otherwise I think this is ready to go, if you don't spot any issues.

-Phil