Subject: bug#78712: 31.0.50; definition is void in file-notify

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2025 17:40:24 +0200

Al Haji-Ali <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> Note that I do not actually call `file-notify-handle-event`
> myself. The call-stack I gave is produced regularly yet randomly, on
> what I suspect are certain changes to the file under question (the
> file is automatically sync'ed so I don't control the changes).
>
> The code I provided is just something I cobbled together to showcase
> that the cause of the error is the action sequence (rename attrib
> delete), which seem to be a legitimate sequence based on the
> callstack.

Well, let's analyze what happens. No artificial test code.

Please set file-notify-debug. We'll see the arrived events then in the
*Message* buffer, like shown in my other message:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
file-notify-handle-event (file-notify (6 (rename) "xxx" "yyy") file-notify--callback-kqueue)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Send the event traces.

I'd like also to understand what has triggered the (rename attrib
delete) actions combined in one event. Is it related to an edit action
from yourself, or due to the said sync action? Which kind of sync action
is this?

Does the sync action happen on a mounted file system?

Best regards, Michael.