Subject: bug#78666: closed (Re: bug#78666: 31.0.50; recentf-open-files reports opening the last file accessed)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2025 21:08:03 +0000

Your bug report

#78666: 31.0.50; recentf-open-files reports opening the last file accessed

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78666: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78666
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78666: 31.0.50; recentf-open-files reports opening the last file accessed
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: Rick Bielawski <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2025 23:07:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, 1 Jul 2025 10:08:28 -0500 Rick Bielawski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Absolutely
>
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2025, 4:28 AM Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:
[...]
>> Anyway, since this bug report is about showing and suppressing messages
>> in the *Open recent* buffer, are you satisfied with how that now works
>> and with my answers to the points you raised above, and if so, do you
>> agree this bug can now be closed?

Ok, thanks and closing.

Steve Berman

Subject: 31.0.50; recentf-open-files reports opening the last file accessed
From: Rick <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2025 18:34:45 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

--text follows this line--
You can recreate most of the problem starting with -Q however you must
have a previously populated recentf file before starting.

M-x recentf-mode
M-x recentf-open-files

Now switch to the *Messagers* buffer and notice something similar to:

     Loading /home/rick/.emacs.d/recentf...done     Cleaning up the 
recentf list...done (0 removed)     Mark set     Open 
/snap/emacs/2827/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/files.el.gz

Observe that it claims to have opened the most recent item on recentf-list,
as loaded from the pre-populated recentf file.  In my case .../files.el.gz.

There doesn't seem to be a buffer actually associated with the file but
it's unclear whether it was subsequently closed or a spurious message.

Personally, because my .emacs contains the following and I run in server
mode I get additional messages that may be helpful.

|... '(recentf-auto-cleanup 'never) '(recentf-max-menu-items 40) 
'(recentf-max-saved-items 200) '(recentf-menu-filter 
'recentf-arrange-by-mode) '(recentf-menu-open-all-flag t) '(recentf-mode 
t) '(recentf-show-file-shortcuts-flag nil) |
...

|(setq initial-buffer-choice 'recentf-open-files)|

With the above (some of which could be irrelevant but I didn't narrow down)
I get the following.  Notice that it reports opening the file 3 times.  
It also
contains "Collapse node" messages which I see no reference to in either
recentf.el or wid-edit.el (its only dependency?).  So I can't tell what 
is emitting
them but it's clearly related and may tell you more than it does me:-)

|Starting Emacs daemon. Collapse node Open 
~/snap/emacs/site-lisp/anchored-transpose.el Collapse node Open 
~/snap/emacs/site-lisp/anchored-transpose.el [2 times] When done with 
this frame, type C-x 5 0 Mark set Collapse node|

I tried (debug-on-entry recentf-open-files) and the messages get
created if I simply type 'c' at the debug prompt.  But when I try
stepping thru the code I get to the end and I'm presented with a
proper menu buffer without ever encountering any code that might
have emitted the messages - AND the messages DO NOT appear.

This left me out of my depth.  Otherwise I'd have tried to debug and
at least report which functions were involved if not a solution proposal.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-05-25 built on lcy02-amd64-118
Repository revision: 10e023c15c03ca32d3c9b1ad54111ef4ede6de73
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo
  --with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-xinput2
  --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-isystem
  /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem
  /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem
  /build/emacs/stage/usr/include -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem
  /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem
  /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem
  /build/emacs/stage/usr/include'
  'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
  -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
  -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
  -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
  -L/build/emacs/stage/usr/lib''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
   recentf-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load recentf
tree-widget wid-edit time-date compile text-property-search comint
subr-x ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run bytecomp byte-compile
comp-common rx warnings icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen
pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 88314 19791) (symbols 48 8421 0) (strings 32 20906 1600)
  (string-bytes 1 716862) (vectors 16 12038)
  (vector-slots 8 163474 8069) (floats 8 27 2) (intervals 56 460 0)
  (buffers 1064 12))