Subject: bug#78666: 31.0.50; recentf-open-files reports opening the last file accessed

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2025 12:05:54 +0200

On Sun, 22 Jun 2025 17:32:54 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2025 15:27:59 +0200
>> 
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2025 22:02:03 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> > So, given that this is a recentf-specific issue, what kind of feedback
>> > did you expect from me, now that you know I don't use this feature?
>> > It sounds like you have already everything figured out.  What are the
>> > aspects about which you are in doubt?  If that is whether to suppress
>> > these messages unconditionally, then I don't think that would be TRT:
>> > these messages are shown for many years, and we didn't have any
>> > complaints about them till now, AFAIU.  So having this as an opt-in
>> > behavior sounds correct to me.
>> 
>> Thanks, that's the feedback I was hoping for.  I was uncertain whether
>> this minor issue justified the extent of the changes and adding a user
>> option, not least because I've gotten unexpected resistance to adding a
>> user option in the ongoing bug#77718 thread.  So, I'll push an updated
>> version of the patch to master, which adds a NEWS entry and by default
>> keeps the initial message only when `recentf-open-files' is invoked
>> interactively, since I think that's more consistent behavior if the
>> option to suppress the messages is not enabled.
>
> Thanks.

Now pushed to master as commit 2b34f38b383.  On retesting before
committing, I found that I had missed the command
'recentf-open-more-files', which should also display a message by
default, so I added that to 'recentf-dialog-goto-first'.

I would appreciate it if Rick (the OP) would confirm that, when
'recentf-suppress-open-file-help' is set to non-nil, no messages
are shown when interactively opening a recentf open file dialog or when
tabbing between items in the open file buffer.  Also, in the use case
mentioned where 'initial-buffer-choice' is set to 'recentf-open-files,
starting Emacs should not show an open file message even when the
suppress option is nil.  If these expectations are satisfied, the bug
can be closed.

Steve Berman