Subject: Re: bug#78658: 30.1; [PATCH] Dired feature suggestion: dired-on-marked-files-in-all-buffers

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2025 19:43:42 +0300

>> I've attached a patch with a first pass implementation.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Ideally, it could find the common prefix, then set
> default-directory to it and list only relative file names,
> like in the output of e.g. 'find-dired-with-command'.
>
> But it already is very useful, and much better
> than the output of 'M-x locate'.

I realized this feature has great potential.  When restricted
to a project's subdirs it can serve as a project's workspace
where the user can select a set of relevant files to work on.
Currently the closest approximation is *vc-dir*.  But it shows
only edited files by default.  While it's possible to add
unedited files by 'i' ('vc-dir-show-fileentry'), it's not
as easy as marking files in Dired.