Subject: Re: bug#78601: [PATCH] Add tool-bar icons to package-menu-mode

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2025 09:09:05 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2025 07:13:19 +0000
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> >> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> >> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> >> Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2025 21:52:52 +0000
>> >> 
>> >> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> >> 
>> >> > Ping!  Would someone please try these icons and report?  I feel
>> >> > uncomfortable installing new icons without some feedback from others.
>> >> 
>> >> I don't know what I should report back on
>> >
>> > Whether the icons are visually appealing, I guess?
>> 
>> I wouldn't object, because I do not use them, but if I couldn't disable
>> the tool-bar, I would (with apologies) not find them that appealing,
>> because a visual priority of mine is stylistic consistency, and these
>> icons wouldn't fit into the remaining design language GUI on my system(s).
>
> Can you elaborate on how these icons are inconsistent with the other
> GUI on your system?  Which aspects are inconsistent.

Just the design of the icons.  I use GNOME, and compare the previous
screenshot to this one of the file manager:

As we are not using icons provided by the icon theme of the desktop
environment, which in my case should be
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita-icon-theme, there is a visual
mismatch that some people might find irritating, but that is nothing new
with Emacs.

>> FWIW I don't think there is any harm in adding the icons anyway.
>> Disregarding visual appeal, I think a slightly less subjective question
>> is would it help attract the attention of new users to useful operations
>> when they are dealing with packages, and I think that the answer here is
>> affirmative.
>
> I'd like to avoid the situation where adding the icons will cause a
> flood of complaints about their appearance.

Understandable, but unless we find some way to detect and use the right
icons on all the systems that Emacs supports, I feel that this is
inevitable.