Subject: bug#78601: [PATCH] Add tool-bar icons to package-menu-mode

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2025 07:42:18 +0000

Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The only comment I can make on the UX is that I find it surprising that
>> the icons disappear in the *Help* buffer describing the package
>
> That is because the icons are meant to be used in `package-menu-mode`,
> not in `help-mode` (like `package-menu-mode` menu-bar).

I understand that, it is just that when I click on a package "link" and
the description gets opened up in a *Help* buffer, I would intuitively
expect the same operations to be retained, just instead of acting on the
package on the current line, they would act on the package in the
current buffer.

>> It is just that the idea of invoking `package-browse-url' by selecting
>> the right line in the package-list buffer (without opening the *Help*
>> buffer), and then selecting the button in the tool-bar is not an
>> interaction that seems intuitive to me.
>
> But `package-menu-mode` menu-bar does the same, I don't see the
> difference, in my experience, i find it better than first opening the
> *Help* buffer and later selecting the package website.

That is fair, I know that my take above is a personal preference, my
point was just to contextualise why the above behaviour confused me.