Subject: bug#78601: [PATCH] Add tool-bar icons to package-menu-mode

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2025 07:13:19 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2025 21:52:52 +0000
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Ping!  Would someone please try these icons and report?  I feel
>> > uncomfortable installing new icons without some feedback from others.
>> 
>> I don't know what I should report back on
>
> Whether the icons are visually appealing, I guess?

I wouldn't object, because I do not use them, but if I couldn't disable
the tool-bar, I would (with apologies) not find them that appealing,
because a visual priority of mine is stylistic consistency, and these
icons wouldn't fit into the remaining design language GUI on my system(s).

>> seeing as I don't use the tool-bar myself, but I have added a
>> screenshot in case it might help anyone else evaluate the change.
>
> Thanks, I hope more people will provide their opinions.

FWIW I don't think there is any harm in adding the icons anyway.
Disregarding visual appeal, I think a slightly less subjective question
is would it help attract the attention of new users to useful operations
when they are dealing with packages, and I think that the answer here is
affirmative.