Subject: Re: bug#78583: 31.0.50; emacs --fg-daemon not protecting frame F1

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 13:55:36 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 27 May 2025 18:28:39 +0200
> From:  martin rudalics via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
>  > On another note, I still believe that in daemonized emacs the F1 frame
>  > is special and should never be deleted by regular frame commands, (it
>  > should still be possible, but only after warning and user
>  > confirmation).  Would you agree? or perhaps you can suggest how best
>  > this may be done. --Best Regards, Madhu
> 
> I can offer the below.  It would have to be documented somewhere in the
> daemon/emacsclient section.  After all (delete-frame terminal-frame) can
> be used to kill the daemon - I never use emacsclient so I have no idea
> whether and how useful that would be.

Is this indeed a recent regression?  If so, can we restore previous
behavior (which was what, btw)?

If this is not a regression, i.e. killing the initial frame in a
daemon session was previously allowed, then I don't think we should
signal an error.  We might ask for confirmation, but even then I'm not
sure.  If someone wants to kill that frame, why should Emacs protest?