Subject: 30.1; which-key-mode overwrites custom key bindings

From: Rick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2025 16:16:23 -0500

|--text follows this line-- ||The problem can't be reproduced with -Q however with -q one only needs 
2 lines in .emacs to recreate. Also, be forewarned that the problem DOES 
NOT happen if you specify --debug-init. This is the only command line 
option I tried and it hampered predictable recreation efforts. .emacs 
content = (global-set-key [f3] 'describe-key) (custom-set-variables 
'(which-key-mode t)) ||Upon startup, quickly type C-h k F3. It shows F3 is bound to describe-key| as expected and the key works
normally as do any others you have set. Try it as much as you like.

Now comes the||insidious part.  If you type the 'k' a little bit too
slowly F3 is overwritten by|kmacro-start-macro-or-insert-counter. Specifically, type C-h and wait 
before typing k. Then F3. Other situations and chords have a similar 
effect but the common thread is that no key combination in particular 
ever causes the problem reliably. It seems to only happen if you use a 
prefix (C-u) or take too long typing the 2nd key in a combination but I 
don't really know. Possibly useful observations: I noticed 2 other 
clobbered keys while troubleshooting F3 but assumed they were related 
and didn't look at them further. I did, however notice they require 
different circumstances from those above to be reset because both 
mouse-1 and M-i were ||reset to defaults independently of F3. That is, I observed an instance 
where M-i was reset but F3 was not. I also saw F3 reset when mouse-2 was 
not.|
|Another useful point is that once a key has been reverted to defaults, 
if you re-assert your preference it will never revert again. I suspect 
--debug-init invokes whatever initially causes the keys to be 
overwritten and site-start is then in the position otherwise occupied by 
someone re-asserting their preferences. If true, it explains how keys 
can 'stick' after a ||--debug-init start. If other things have a similar effect, something 
many users do may limit the number of people experiencing the problem. |||||Or, maybe it's something specific to this build since I've never had a
Ubuntu machine before, my config has never seen a non-Windows build till
now.

|In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41, 
cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-05-11 built on lcy02-amd64-059 Repository 
revision: 9328fd1ab06a1a1f85077fd1caadf9128c90f6c1 Repository branch: 
master System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS Configured using: 
'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 
--without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo 
--with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-xinput2 
--with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-isystem 
/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem 
/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem 
/build/emacs/stage/usr/include -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem 
/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem 
/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem 
/build/emacs/stage/usr/include' 
'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib 
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib 
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu 
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu 
-L/build/emacs/stage/usr/lib'' Configured features: ACL CAIRO DBUS 
FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF 
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER 
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS 
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB Important settings: value of $LANG: 
en_US.UTF-8 value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus locale-coding-system: 
utf-8-unix Major mode: Fundamental Minor modes in effect: tooltip-mode: 
t global-eldoc-mode: t show-paren-mode: t electric-indent-mode: t 
mouse-wheel-mode: t tool-bar-mode: t menu-bar-mode: t 
file-name-shadow-mode: t global-font-lock-mode: t blink-cursor-mode: t 
minibuffer-regexp-mode: t buffer-read-only: t line-number-mode: t 
indent-tabs-mode: t transient-mark-mode: t auto-composition-mode: t 
auto-encryption-mode: t auto-compression-mode: t Load-path shadows: None 
found. Features: (shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap 
yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache 
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode 
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader 
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils 
shortdoc text-property-search kmacro byte-opt help-fns radix-tree 
site-start comp cl-seq comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode comp-common warnings 
icons subr-x rx gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile rmc 
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook 
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win 
term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image 
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode 
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu 
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core 
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic 
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese 
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek 
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese 
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook 
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs 
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties 
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap 
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify 
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk 
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs) 
Memory information: ((conses 16 123573 16384) (symbols 48 7625 0) 
(strings 32 25412 1713) (string-bytes 1 1761900) (vectors 16 14083) 
(vector-slots 8 177707 11252) (floats 8 85 3) (intervals 56 476 0) 
(buffers 992 12)) |