Subject: bug#78572: 30.1; Tramp Project error message loop - File is missing

From: Alexis Bakatine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2025 13:16:34 +0000

Hello Dmitry,

> I think we also missed the first part of the original description - the
> "File is missing" errors being echoed. Should that happen? Does that
> occur due to missing permissions and/or because tramp-verbose is set to > 10?

This is something that happens with tramp-verbose set to its default value.
Here is the recipe:

1. from your terminal (use a server of your own):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
emacs -Q -l project --eval '(setopt project-mode-line t)' '/ssh:foo@bar:'
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

2. after successfully connecting do:
   M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections

3. right after the connection drops you can check your *Messages* buffer and
notice multiple lines like below:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
File is missing: /ssh:foo@bar:~/
File is missing: /ssh:foo@bar:
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

They also get echoed again when you switch buffers with C-x b, or just switch
cursor windows after you split the window with C-x 1 and then C-x o, though
I can't make that behavior consistent.