Subject: "volctl" is broken

From: Andrew Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2025 18:23:36 -0400

Trying to launch volctl results in an instant crash citing "TypeError: 
gobject `GSettings' doesn't support property `schema'"[1][2]. This 
occurs upon trying an updated version, too. Also, it appears that its 
functioning on Wayland compositors relies on the inclusion of a 
'statusnotifier' package [3], although I'm unsure of how it would be 
incorporated. I'm not well-versed enough in python/gobjects to debug 
this, so I'm leaving this report here.

[1] The error:
~ # guix shell volctl -- volctl
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File 
"/gnu/store/xlfmgqym4385059znsinh34886vbmhz3-volctl-0.9.4/bin/.volctl-real", 
line 33, in <module>
     sys.exit(load_entry_point('volctl==0.9.4', 'gui_scripts', 'volctl')())
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   File 
"/gnu/store/xlfmgqym4385059znsinh34886vbmhz3-volctl-0.9.4/lib/python3.11/site-packages/volctl/__main__.py", 
line 20, in main
     app = VolctlApp()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^
   File 
"/gnu/store/xlfmgqym4385059znsinh34886vbmhz3-volctl-0.9.4/lib/python3.11/site-packages/volctl/app.py", 
line 49, in __init__
     self.settings = Gio.Settings("apps.volctl", path="/apps/volctl/")
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   File 
"/gnu/store/sbyxvi16am5i2fq21mdk8lw4p1mdhz0f-python-pygobject-3.50.0/lib/python3.11/site-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", 
line 313, in new_init
     return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TypeError: gobject `GSettings' doesn't support property `schema'

[2] guix describe:
Generation 23   May 03 2025 22:37:26    (current)
   [...]
   guix 670724e
     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
     branch: master
     commit: 670724edcfe7d71c517d4bb1680132b45accf0b8
   guix-past 8353f5e
     repository URL: https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-past.git
     branch: master
     commit: 8353f5e12b31a6f477956a10f68d271d805a634f