Subject: bug#78561: [PATCH] Add semantic linefeed support for paragraph filling

From: Roi Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2025 13:04:35 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> As for other modes, what modes could usefully make use of this kind of
> region-filling?  Org mode might be the only one, but in that case it's
> something for Org developers to chime in; I added Ihor to the
> discussion.

I would include all those languages that are not sensitive to newlines
when exported to a different format.  For instance, Org, Texinfo, LaTeX
or Markdown.  Of course, there might be people that find this kind of
formatting useful when writing text in text-mode or outline-mode.

>> I guess the safest call for now is to provide `fill-paragraph-semlf' and
>> `fill-region-as-paragraph-semlf' as commands that users or major modes
>> can call directly.
>
> That's what we currently do, right?

Yes.  But, if we decide to keep it like that, we need to remove the
reference to `fill-paragraph-function' from the doc string of
`fill-paragraph-semlf'.  Once we take a decission, I'll send a new
patch.

        Roi