Subject: Re: bug#78561: [PATCH] Add semantic linefeed support for paragraph filling

From: Roi Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2025 11:01:14 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry if I missed something, but I tried to use this feature
> and can't find in etc/NEWS whether to set this

One option is setting a key binding, like this:

  (keymap-global-set "C-c q" #'fill-paragraph-semlf)

Then you can invoke the command placing the cursor within a paragraph
and using 'C-c q' (or 'M-x fill-paragraph-semlf').

> (setq-local fill-paragraph-function 'fill-paragraph-semlf)

This works.  However, the behavior of the usual key binding 'M-q'
depends on the major-mode that is enabled.  For instance, `org-mode'
binds 'M-q' to `org-fill-paragraph' and won't invoke
'fill-paragraph-semlf.  But placing the cursor within a paragraph a
invoking `fill-paragraph' works.  On the flip side, other modes
(e.g. `outline-mode' or `texinfo-mode') don't do that and you can use
'M-q' to invoke `fill-paragraph' and, thus, `fill-paragraph-semlf'
normally.

How to fix this needs further discussion.  Eli, Stefan any
recommendation?

Personally, for now, I'm setting a specific key binding to invoke
`fill-paragraph-semlf'.

        Roi