Subject: bug#78537: GIMP startup crash on minimal xorg/wm unless gtk+ in profile

From: Runciter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2025 23:39:28 +0000

Hi Maxim and Guixers,

"Maxim Cournoyer" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Are you able to run it this way?
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> ./pre-inst-env guix shell --pure gimp -- gimp
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> For me it still fails to run, apparently it fails to load its PNG icons.
> Maybe it also needs to be wrapped with GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE ?

Some progress!

I found that it currently needs the package gegl in the profile
understand the png format.

./pre-inst-env guix shell --pure gimp gegl -- gimp

This successfully showed the splash screen before crashing.

I'm on business trip and there's no hope that that my X60 will compile
guix, so I'm stuck testing the gimp package using 'ssh -Y' to back home,
until Sunday. So it will be helpful if someone can just confirm that
GIMP does crash after showing its splash screen with my latest patch +
gegl in the pure profile.

With gegl in the pure profile, it understands the png format, but it
still fails to recognize the svg format of at least one picture; this
probably relates to the package dependency structure, gimp depends on
libpng through its gegl input.

Regards,

-- 
Runciter