Subject: 30.1; Mishaving new frame creation in MacOS on new desktop

From: Boris Aronov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2025 21:35:04 +0200

This is on MacOS in GUI mode.

Recipe: Make emacs full screen by clicking on the green button (maybe
also <f11>?).  Now in this frame make another one (for example, by
cmd-N or C-x 5 2).

A new frame opens on a new desktop.  Focus shifts there.  Now try to
execute a command by esc-x (M-x).  There is no prompt on the bottom of
the screen.  If you shift to the previous desktop, you will see that the
prompt for the command to be executed appears there.  [I am not 100%
sure, but I also think the wrong emacs window is selected, as whatever
characters typed after M-x end up in the wrong place.]

I believe the mis-behavior also happens with some other actions
immediately after new frame creation, but have not been able to figure
out precisely when.

Notice that the trouble does not appear if I have a non-full-screen
Emace and make a new frame.

Emacs downloaded from MacPorts.  Versions before 30.1 did not have
this "feature."

Thanks in advance.

–BA

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 2, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS appkit-2113.65
 Version 12.7.6 (Build 21H1320)) of 2025-02-26 built on
 montereyx.internal.macports.net
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.7.6

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-silent-rules --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-libgmp
 --with-gnutls --with-xml2 --with-modules --with-sqlite3 --with-webp
 --with-native-compilation=aot --infodir /opt/local/share/info/emacs
 --disable-gc-mark-trace --with-ns --with-lcms2 --without-harfbuzz
 --without-imagemagick --without-xaw3d --with-rsvg --with-tree-sitter
 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -Wno-attributes
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX12.sdk -arch
 x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX12.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-no_pie
 -Wl,-rpath /opt/local/lib/gcc14 -Wl,-rpath /opt/local/lib
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX12.sdk
 -arch x86_64''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug info help-mode mail-extr compile comp-run
comp-common org-timer org-colview org-clock org-attach org-archive
org-agenda org-element org-persist org-id org-element-ast inline
avl-tree generator org-refile ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg
dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs json map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi reporter org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date subr-x noutline outline
icons ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-version org-cycle org-table ol
rx org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs thingatpt find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat org-macs format-spec
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 299721 44845) (symbols 48 22479 0) (strings 32 81187 9240)
 (string-bytes 1 2469307) (vectors 16 37357)
 (vector-slots 8 468691 25511) (floats 8 356 198)
 (intervals 56 4527 0) (buffers 992 14))