Subject: bug#78522: 31.0.50; Conflict between standard-display-unicode-special-glyphs and whitespace-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 14:20:47 +0300

> Date: Tue, 27 May 2025 17:06:57 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> 
> The patch improved a bit, but didn't solved it totally.
> 
> I mean:
> 
> > M-x standard-display-unicode-special-glyphs ;; This looks as expected
> > M-x whitespace-mode ;; reverts the effect
> 
> This part of the issue is still there exactly like before.

??? I've just tried, and it definitely does solve the problem here.

Or maybe I don't understand well enough what you mean by "reverts the
effect"?  You've never actually shown a recipe with detailed
explanations which explain what exactly is "reverted".  Because
standard-display-unicode-special-glyphs by itself doesn't change
anything on display in 'emacs -Q", you must do something else to see
its effect.  In my testing, I used "C-x 3", which shows the vertical
border between two windows using a Unicode character when
standard-display-unicode-special-glyphs is in effect.  Before my
changes, whitespace-mode would revert the border back to the ASCII
characters they used originally; after my changes this no longer
happens.

So what is your recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", where you see that
whitespace-mode still reverts the effect of
standard-display-unicode-special-glyphs?

> But, if I do latter:
> 
> M-x whitespace-mode ;; disables whitespace and restores special-glyphs
> M-x whitespace-mode ;; re-enable whitespace mode and keeps special-glyphs
> 
> Then it looks correctly. 

What "special glyphs" are you talking about, and how do you make Emacs
display them?