Subject: Re: bug#78520: 31.0.50; Performance issue in dired+isearch with dired-isearch-filenames

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2025 15:34:27 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> >> We have the option 'wdired-search-replace-filenames'
> >> that can be customized to nil.
> >
> > That's what I wanted to note: different types of isearch behavior can
> > potentially be useful in wdired, but it can be controlled _only_ via
> > customization, in contrast to dired.  It would be nice if toggling
> > `dired-isearch-filenames-mode' would still do something.  That it
> > does nothing can be unexpected.  Not the end of the world but
> > something that I personally don't like that much.
>
> So you propose to duplicate all related functions from dired to wdired?

Do we have to duplicate them?  Can't we just use the same set of
functions?

Looks like that's more or less already the, but with an additional
artificial different treatment of how the search and replace commands
work by default.  Or maybe I'm missing something.

Michael.