Subject: [bug#78497] [PATCH] environment: Provide a writable /run/user/$UID.

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2025 18:55:31 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>> For normal users this is fine, but for root the whole /run should be
>> writable, the way it is on normal system.  Thoughts?
>
> For root, the whole root file system should be writable.

Well... That would be one way to solve this.  Default to --writable-root
if UID is zero.

> So I wonder if it makes sense to special-case the above to be “/run”
> when UID is zero; WDYT?

I was thinking about programs that are expected to be run as a root and
have hard-coded PID file, lock file or something else under /run.  But I
have no example to put forward.  So maybe your version is enough, and we
can revisit this in another pass later if the need realizes?

I do not really have a strong opinion either way here, just wanted to
raise the point for consideration.  Feel free to proceed with the
original version. ^_^

Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.