Subject: bug#78495: gnome shell not launching...?

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2025 16:18:49 +0900

Hi,

> Hi, a few hours before I got this e-mail, I tried switching over to
> Wayland, and everything appears to be working fine using the latest
> linux-libre kernel. So I guess the short answer is that X11 Gnome
> support is broken. I originally had disabled Wayland because it made
> Gnome Shell run very slowly on my computer. But it seems to be running
> fast and smoothly now. Not sure what changed.

Glad to know it at least works with Wayland.

> This is a slightly different issue than what I previously
> reported. But if the Gnome project doesn't care about X11 anymore, I
> suppose there is no point to keeping this bug open.

I can reproduce this is QEMU using the 'guix system vm' command I shared
earlier.  I guess it could be troubleshooted but since it's going away
soon anyway [0], there's little incentive (at least to me) to do so.

I'll leave this open for a bit in case someone is interested debugging
and fixing it on X11.

[0]  https://www.phoronix.com/news/GNOME-GDM-Disable-X11-Default

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim