Subject: Re: bug#78490: Feature Request: secrets.el should handle org.freedesktop.Secret.Prompt for KeePassXC approval

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2025 09:03:31 +0200

André Colomb <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Emacs developers,

Hi André

> Some further investigation and a helpful ChatGPT interrogation pointed
> toward the culprit here: Emacs' secrets.el simply doesn't implement
> the unlocking workflow of that API.  AFAIUI, the DBus call returns an
> error code org.freedesktop.Secret.Error.IsLocked, and a Prompt object
> whose "Prompt" method needs to be invoked via DBus to show the
> confirmation popup.  The same behavior can be reproduced using the
> "M-x secrets-show-secrets" command.

Thanks for the report! Yes, an Emacs bug report is the right place.

> Is there a chance this could be properly added to secrets.el?  I
> wouldn't even mind if the whole lisp execution got blocked while
> waiting for a response to the popup.

I will investigate in a couple of days, when there is some spare time.

> I am running: GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
> Version 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-04-01, modified by
> Debian; installed from the Ubuntu 24.04 packages.

There is bug#62952. It sounds very similar to your problem, and it is
fixed in Emacs 30.1. Do you have a chance to check, whether Emacs 30.1
solves your problem?

> Thanks in advance and kind regards
> André

Best regards, Michael.