Subject: Re: bug#78490: Feature Request: secrets.el should handle org.freedesktop.Secret.Prompt for KeePassXC approval

From: André Colomb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2025 22:36:35 +0200

Hi Michael,

On 19.05.25 09:03, Michael Albinus wrote:
>> I am running: GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
>> Version 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-04-01, modified by
>> Debian; installed from the Ubuntu 24.04 packages.
> 
> There is bug#62952. It sounds very similar to your problem, and it is
> fixed in Emacs 30.1. Do you have a chance to check, whether Emacs 30.1
> solves your problem?

Sorry I did not find that previous bug report before.  It sounds like 
exactly the same problem.

I've tested with the Flatpak version 30.1 and gave it D-Bus access. 
Looks like the feature is already implemented in that newer version. 
KeePassXC did ask me for confirmation when accessing the secret.  It was 
a little weird because KeePassXC warned that it cannot find / identify 
the emacs executable, probably because of the flatpak sandboxing.  But 
at least there was an unlock prompt for the individual entry.

I guess it's fine then and I just need to wait for an updated emacs 
package for my Ubuntu installation.  Going with the flatpak version is 
not really an option for me.  But I haven't found a trustworthy and 
recent Ubuntu PPA with builds of 30.1 which I could use.  Might try 
installing the packages from Ubuntu Plucky Puffin (25.04), but I fear 
it's a high risk for my day-to-day editor / IDE.  So might just be 
patient as well and look forward to seeing this bug fixed when I do 
switch to a newer official Ubuntu release.

Thank you very much for your time and investigation.

Kind regards
André