Subject: bug#78489: 30.1.50; Using etags, Ada and xref-find-definitions doesn't find definitions

From: Troy Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2025 17:57:21 -0400

On Tue, May 27, 2025 at 8:22 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, I've now installed the fix on the master branch.

Is it possible that this can be applied to the Emacs 30 branch too?

> > I did try it with the patch, but I'm still seeing an issue (with
> > completion).  That's why I don't think the patch fixes everything,
> > just navigation.
>
> It fixes Xref and M-. command, with or without TAB-completion of
> candidates.  That was the regression you reported in your original
> report.

Yes, you are correct, I expanded the scope when I was testing and
noticed that `completion-at-point` was also not working.  I apologize
if my wording didn't make that clear.

> "M-x completion-at-point" is a separate command, so this is basically
> a separate issue, unrelated to our switch to Xref.  Trying this
> command in Emacs 24.4, I see that it inserts "Display_Message/p" in
> that version as well.  While I agree with you that it isn't
> user-friendly to insert the "/p" part, I'm not sure the fix should be
> in etags-tags-completion-table, because that function is called (via
> tags-completion-table-function) in more than just this scenario, and
> we could break some of those other scenarios.
>
> Maybe Ada source files should have their own specialized value for
> completion-at-point-functions?

I think that might be a good idea, at least as a starting point.  I
like the idea of using a mode-specific completion-at-point function so
the mode can adjust this output accordingly, such as with an
annotation function that Stefan mentioned or even other appropriate
attributes (e.g., company-kind), etc.  I appreciate the advice and
ideas.  I think I can take the completion-at-point issue from here.
I'll file a new report if I have anything further along that avenue.

Thanks,

Troy.