Subject: bug#78489: 30.1.50; Using etags, Ada and xref-find-definitions doesn't find definitions

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2025 12:17:12 -0400

>> I haven't had time to look closely, but IIUC those `/p` aren't
>> reallypart of the completed names but only some meta-info about their
>> nature, so it sounds like a job for `:annotation-function` (in
>> `completion-at-point-function`) or `annotation-function` (in the
>> completion table's metadata).
>
> I'm not sure I follow: if you say that annotation-function should add
> those "/p" qualifiers, then that's not really possible, since they are
> appended by etags and are present in the TAGS file.  Ada tags always
> worked like that, for some reason I cannot understand, but we cannot
> easily change this now.

BTW, a less-ideal solution would be to use an `:exit-function` that
removes the `/p`.  This is a lot more hackish because exit-functions are
kind of optional (different UIs run them in different circumstances or
not at all), plus there's the risk of removing a `/p` that was not
supposed to be removed.

        Stefan