Subject: bug#78489: 30.1.50; Using etags, Ada and xref-find-definitions doesn't find definitions

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2025 12:13:04 -0400

>> I haven't had time to look closely, but IIUC those `/p` aren't
>> reallypart of the completed names but only some meta-info about their
>> nature, so it sounds like a job for `:annotation-function` (in
>> `completion-at-point-function`) or `annotation-function` (in the
>> completion table's metadata).
>
> I'm not sure I follow: if you say that annotation-function should add
> those "/p" qualifiers,

That's what I meant, yes.

> then that's not really possible, since they are appended by etags and
> are present in the TAGS file.

Yes, I saw that `etags.el` has special support for that.
Is that documented somewhere (and used/usable by other languages)?

> Ada tags always worked like that, for some reason I cannot understand,
> but we cannot easily change this now.

But we can remove those `/p` thingies from the completion text itself
and add them back (via annotation-function) when listing
the completions, no?

        Stefan